Monday, March 1, 2010

Marie Osmond

Today I was going to post about our family night that we had last night but I have something more important to post about. A couple of weeks ago I posted about the movie "To Save a Life" that I had gone to see. I am pleading with all of you who have teenagers to take them to see this movie and open the dialogue with your children. I know you all have heard about the death of Marie Osmond's 18 year old son, Michael Blosil. Did you also know that he was one of her 5 adopted children. This is so important for us as adoptive parents to recognize! We need to keep the communication OPEN with our children! We need to be able to allow them to talk with us about everything without passing judgement. Please see the movie or purchase the book at your local christian bookstore. There is also a handbook that helps you discuss suicide with your children and youth groups. As adoptive parents this is something that we CAN NOT ignore!!
I found an article about Marie's son and it said that in a study conducted in 2008, almost 8 % of adopted teens indicated that they had attempted or thought about committing suicide compared to just over 3 % of non adopted teens. Please research this further and open communication with your children. And please say a prayer for Marie's family.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Thank you for posting this, I didn't realize the statistics were so much different for adopted kids. Another reason why communication with our kids is so very important.

Anonymous said...

Kara, thanks for commenting on my blog. I wasn't sure what you meant by new at this... I thought y'all were in the adoption process right now and waiting for Ashley. I love readind your blogs and can't wait for yall to bring that baby girl home. she is precious. I've been praying for you and Ashley. take care SAL